Virtual Reality Enhanced CBT
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can be enhanced through virtual reality (VR) technology. VR serves as exposure based CBT which is considered the “gold standard” in the treatment of many anxiety disorders. During a VR therapy session, clients wear a VR headset and engage in a simulation of various feared situations to learn to manage anxiety and feel better prepared for real-life situations. VR allows you to experience the sights and sounds of the environment as if you were actually there. This is done as part of an individualized treatment plan with a trained therapist in the safety of the Anxiety and Depression Center.
The Anxiety and Depression Center utilizes a professional grade VR device with scenarios specifically curated to optimize anxiety treatment. This system allows the therapist to tailor the VR experience to optimize the therapeutic benefit.
Benefits of Virtual Reality Enhanced CBT
- Clients report VR can often be an easier starting point to address fears in treatment before facing them in real life.
- VR enables clients to therapeutically address situations that would otherwise be too expensive, inaccessible, or feel too dangerous.
- VR allows the therapist and client to carefully and collaboratively control situations, including pausing, increasing, or decreasing the intensity to maximize therapeutic benefits.
- VR empowers clients to more precisely gauge when they experience significant decreases in their anxiety or are ready to move on to a new treatment phase.
- The VR system provides supplemental programs that help teach skills such as mindfulness and relaxation training.
Virtual Reality Enhanced CBT Can Be Helpful To Overcome
- Social Anxiety
- Fear of Public Speaking
- Fear of Driving
- Fear of Flying
- Fear of Heights